Today, new innovative technology is coming at full speed than ever before. The internet of Things (IoT) market was worth around $157 billion back in 2016 and it’s estimated to rise to a whopping $480 billion by 2021. Nearly every device that we see and use around is connected to the internet and almost interlinked to other nearby devices. From home appliances to DNA analysis devices, IoT is constantly being utilized to develop ‘smart’ devices which are well-connected. Although IoT is all about giving every single ‘thing’ a unique ID, it still raises security concerns for its users at the same time.
When properties like real-time communication, remote access, and data sharing are misused, they might cause some serious issues. Therefore, by disregarding the requirement for cybersecurity with IoT, you are putting your data and physical security at risk.
Benefits of Managing Cybersecurity
- Cybersecurity protects data and networks from unauthorized access. It keeps the device safe from outsiders.
- More enhanced business continuity management and information security.
- More quicker recovery times in the result of a breach.
- Advanced stakeholder confidence in your data security arrangements.
- It also enhances company credentials with the accurate security controls in place.
How does Cybersecurity Affect the Development and Implementation of IoT?
- Insecure Web Interface– If proper measures and actions are not followed, factors like SQL injection, phishing, plain text credentials that are sent, and other old-school or advanced methods can be used by hackers to gain control of your IoT devices. To resolve this, these are the steps that you can follow-
- A strong password or any other efficient locking mechanism.
- Effective encryption algorithms.
- Guarantee that the web interface has been tested for XSS, SQL, and CSRF vulnerabilities.
- Evade transferring credentials in plain text.
- Insecure Network Services– It’s very easy for attackers to use insecure network services to attack users. These attacks may come either from internal or external network users. Especially enterprises and businesses should be aware of this. It can be solved by
- Addressing employees’ awareness of internet threats.
- A solid networking mechanism is required for refining internet traffic from VPNs and intranets.
- Make sure that all required ports are neither exposed nor available to outsiders.
- Insufficient Authentication or Authorization– Inadequate authorization can result in losing data, lacking accountability, and also denying service attacks. Authorizing a hierarchy of controls is compulsory. This can be fixed by
- Implementing a 2-factor authentication.
- The communication in each network needs to be encrypted and authenticated.
- Lack of Transport Encryption– Inadequate transport layer security is due to the fixed applications, which don’t take any useful measure in the network traffic.
- Utilization of more reliable encryption standards.
- Better communication constraints put in place.
- Managing a check on applications, being accessed through the IoT device.
- Privacy Concerns– Privacy is one of the most important security concerns. This cannot be put at risk while installing IoT devices and keeping them interlinked. Bad algorithms and hackers can make the worse happen for your devices. This can be solved by
- All devices must install a varied operating system (OS).
- The devices must have the capability to protect themselves from remote code execution attacks and intrusion.
- Vulnerable Cloud and Mobile Interface– Mobile services and cloud can efficiently bring buyers from many companies. But these are not as safe as we think. Advancing cloud technology is becoming powerful every day, but it’s not that ‘precise’ yet, because there are hazards that are obtained by IoT also. This can be solved by-
- Secure encryption, vulnerability detection, and authentications are needed.
- There should be proper testing on mobile interfaces, cloud, or web that don’t contain any SQL injection, XSS or CSRF vulnerabilities.
As the days go by, cybersecurity implementations are not as trailblazing for IoT devices as they should be. Many IoT devices as well as IoT services are on the rise. So, it is rather important for every smart business or home to keep the threats of IoT in mind, well, alongside with all the benefits they provide. In this challenging environment, IoT devices continue to grow and new, excellent cybersecurity’s are being implemented. Therefore, it is safe to say that good cybersecurity should be used by IoT users.
Feril Mohammed Hazem is an industry expert and a professional writer working at ThinkPalm Technologies. He has a keen interest in AI. He is fascinated by futuristic technology and its ways. Off the screen, he is a movie buff, likes playing basketball and listening to music.